Computer & Job Skills Classes
Thanks to a partnership between Blount County Public Library and Adult Education Foundation, along with generous funding by the ARCONIC Foundation, will help you gain job skills by taking free computer classes in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint (2016), Email and Social Media. Receive an opportunity to gain a nationally recognized certificate from Northstar Digital Literacy.
Receive resume help, online job searches, online applications, practice interview skills or create and update LinkedIn account. Course descriptions and schedules are listed below under Class Information for Step-Up Computer Classes. For those with no previous computer experience, you will need to practice using a mouse before you may enroll. Here a few practice websites available: http://www.mouseprogram.com/ and http://www.pbclibrary.org/mousing/mousercise.htm
Spaces are limited and registration is required. To register, please visit the library's Reference Desk or call 865-982-0981, ext. 4, or 865-273-1428. Sign up no earlier than one month prior to a class.
Tuesdays, 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.,
- Need help with technology and don’t know where to start? Tech Time is designed to be space to get your questions answered and set you on the path you need for technology success! Having trouble with email? Can’t find what you need on the internet? Curious about Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest? Need help with eBooks? Bring your technology questions and get assistance from a Tech Time facilitator. Tech Time will be held in Study Room A in the Reference area of the library.
It's Your Career Soft Skills Training Classes
Once a Month on Fridays, 7:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- “It’s Your Career,” will be
For Class Synopsis & Registration Information
- Go to www.blountchamber.com/community/soft-skills Soft Skills are strengthened and developed over time and are necessary if you desire to climb the career ladder. The classes are a collaboration of Blount Partnership, Adult Education Foundation of Blount County and the Blount County Public Library.
Fridays, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Because Blount County Public Library has received a Library Technology Training Grant, this series of 40 Google Lunch and Learn classes is being offered to the public during 2018. Online registration is required at no cost. For lunch options, you may bring a sack lunch or an optional $10 box lunch is available from the library’s Bookmark Café and lunch order options are on the registration forms below under Registration Online Forms for Google Lunch & Learn Series. The classes will be held in the library’s new Learning Lab, a stand-alone building on Cusick Street, across from the library’s outdoor sign. Participants who have Gmail accounts should bring their email address and password. Those who do not have a Gmail account will create one at their first class. Participants should bring their library card. In some classes, participants will also learn how to use Lynda.com, a new leading online learning platform that helps anyone learn business,software, technology and creative skills to achieve their learning goals. A staff person will be at all classes to make sure that participants have an ecard to access Lynda.com for participants without library cards. Be sure to include email address on registration form. Each class is limited to 10 participants. Participants are invited to bring their personal laptops with wireless access to use in classes.
- Google Calendar Advanced Tips and Tricks: Lunch and Learn Series Registration - APRIL 27, 2018
- Google Sheets Essentials: Lunch and Learn Series Registration - MAY 4, 2018
- Advanced Google Sheets: Lunch and Learn Series Registration - MAY 11, 2018
- Automating Tasks with Google Drive and IFTTT (If This Then That): Lunch and Learn Series Registration - MAY 18, 2018
- Learning Online Surveys With Google Forms: Lunch and Learn Series Registration - JUNE 8, 2018
- Using Google Slides to Create Presentations: Lunch and Learn Series Registration - JUNE 15, 2018
- Using Google Voice for Business: Lunch and Learn Series Registration - JUNE 22, 2018
- Get Up and Running with Google My Business: Lunch and Learn Series Registration - JUNE 29, 2018